Visiting Lisboa district
Dominated by the great capital this is the district that 80% of the tourists know better (the other 20% go straight to Algarve or Porto).
Lisbon is, of course, the top destination, but Sintra is also almost mandatory, as the coastline connecting Lisbon to Cascais. What else?
*** Not to be missed
** Very Interesting
Azenhas do Mar
Cabo da Roca
Also in the district Oeiras, Carcavelos, Lourinhã and Sobreiro and the less interesting Amadora. Colares, Loures, Torres Vedras and the beaches of Maçãs, Areia Branca, Santa Cruz, Santa Rita and Porto Novo.
To complete the visit to Lisbon and included in the trip to Sintra and Mafra, you’d better allow some more time to see the generally called “saloia” area, meaning rustic, because, in the old days, their agriculture fed Lisbon.
By the sea, Ericeira was a great fishing port, still showing well the traditional look and it being a good place for a quick stop, from two hours to two weeks.
This is, also, one of the top destinations to eat seafood.
Capital of the district and the country, Lisbon it’s one of the top places to visit.
It has not the variety and richness of most European capitals, and some foreigners become disappointed with the degraded condition and even dirt in some of the old quarters, but to enjoy the visit it is important to skip those unaesthetic areas (that all the towns have, as a matter of fact) and to dedicate more attention to the effects of light in the clarity of town. It is also important to follow the river from Expo 98 (a well succeeded project of modernity) to Cascais, the British preferred place. In between, Belem is a world by itself, but Lisbon is also a good base to short trips to the many “must see” in a short distance.
Saloios are gone
When, in 1963, I moved to Lisbon, Loures was a village almost 10 miles away, where we rarely went, and usually just passing by. With the disordered growth of Lisboa, Loures became a peripheral city, in practice almost a neighborhood at the edge of the city.
Some commercial and service activities were transferred to the area, and Loures is today a city alive and with an urban image.
Visiting for a lunch and returning
Lourinhã is known mainly for its dinosaur’s trails. In my first visit I didn’t see them, but had a nice lunch with friends.
Years later, with a grandson, dinosaurs were mandatory.
From Lisbon, this is the beach that achieves the best ratio between the quality of the beach and the distance from town.
A fastly growing city, not being a top destination, is gathering each more reasons to attract visitors, showing something new each time I visit it.